Thursday, January 21, 2010

To Be Fit For God

O Maker and Sustainer of all things,

Day and night are yours,
   heaven and earth declare your glory;
but I, a creature of your power and vast wealth,
   have sinned against you by resisting
      the promptings of my conscience,
      the demands of your law
      the calls of your gospel
   yet I live under the governance of a given hope.
Deliver me, I pray, from worldly attitudes
   for I am born from above and bound for glory.
May I see and long after holiness
   as the beauty and dignity of the soul.
Let me never slumber,
   never lose my assurance,
   never fail to wear spiritual armor when passing through enemy land.
Fit me for every situation and circumstance;
Stay my mind upon you and turn my trials
   to blessings
   that they may draw out my gratitude and praise
   as I see their design and effects.
Please cause my obedience to your will to be holy, natural, and delightful.
Refine all my values by clear, consistent, and influential views of divine truth.
Let me never undervalue or neglect any part of your revealed will.
May I appropriately esteem the doctrine and practice of the gospel,
   prizing its commands as well as its promises.
Will you sanctify me in every relationship, position, project and life situation?
   that if I prosper I will not be overly exalted,
   and if I suffer I will not be over-sorrowful.
Balance my mind in all the various circumstances that come to me
   and help me to cultivate an attitude
   that makes every duty a spiritual privilege.
Thus may I be content,
   be a glory to you
   and an example to others.

1 comment: