Monday, January 4, 2010

Introduction

Julie & Julia.

This is what finally inspired me to do this. We watched that movie one night not so long ago and I thought it was admirable that the lady just decided to take on the challenge (if you haven't watched the movie, the challenge was to cook through the entire Julia Child's cook book in a year).

I have dreamed about revising the puritan prayers that are compiled in the book Valley of Vision for a long time. I have actually re-written some of them already for personal and corporate devotional use. I've also had some discussions with the publishers of that book (Banner of Truth) about the possibility of publishing an updated version for modern readers. So far, they think it is a good idea, but not one that warrants doing.

My view is that we as Christians need to have a firm grasp on the past as we strain forward to what lies ahead. To relinquish either tends to leave us unbalanced.

Sometimes it is helpful to update older resources to make them more accessible for modern users. This is the same reason that the work of creating new Bible translations needs to be ongoing. We need God's words in our language.

I got the idea for doing this a long time ago. But it wasn't until I saw the revised version of Spurgeon's Morning and Evening done by Alstair Begg that I became convinced of the viability (and, I think, need) of such an undertaking.

Some will say, "It ain't broke - don't try to fix it!" Others would want to go further in modernizing the language. My goal is to update the verbage in such a way that modern readers find it less off-putting, while preserving as much of the grand poetry and timbre of the original.

If I would compare what I'm aiming at with a Bible translation method, I'm aiming at something between King James (too antiquated) and the NIV (too paraphrased). If I could provide a good "ESV-type" version of Valley of Vision, I would be well satisfied.

I would be happy to hear your thoughts: On the subject in general, what VoV has meant to you in your spiritual life, or the actual updating work itself. I hope to meet other sojourners as I take this journey!

Chief Sinner,
Andrew LeCleir

18 comments:

  1. This is really good! We are not familiar with VoV, but what I've read so far is beautiful. I so appreciate reading something that puts into words what I for some reason cannot. Thanks for doing this - look forward to future posts...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have started using Valley of Vision in my personal prayers and devotions for a couple months now. It has greatly helped me to grow in my prayer life and I believe that God is using to help me grow in my walk with Him. I just came across your blog today and am very excited to find that some of these prayers have been revised in modern language. I have shared some with some of my friends but the Old English has kept me back from sharing it with more of my friends. I really hope that one day Banner of Truth will print a revised version. Thank you for sharing your labors with us

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have started rewriting it so I can give it to people whose first language is not English. It seems like we could have a collaborative effort

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a blessing to find someone else has thought about and actually working to revise VoV to modern language. Please share where I may find the revisions already completed.

      Delete
  4. I would love VoV in modern english!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would love VoV in modern english!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I teach junior high and high school at the private Christian school and have been updating the prays for my students. It's been an amazing blessing to see my students respond. I'd love to see it translated into modern English!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was just given this book by my son-in-law and love it already! I would like to see a simple modernized version, i.e. thee into you, and thy into your, etc., as I do find myself translating in my head as I read. Have you got any further in your translation?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find myself translating in my head also. It somehow brings it more to life, as the archaic language seems to be a barrier to me.

      Delete
  8. Hi Andrew, did you ever do this project, I have been looking for such a book to use in counseling and handing out to church members beside reading it myself? As I read it I automatically change the language. I am 61 years old and started out with KJV style reading but it really does not suit me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Mark,
    Have you seen this?
    http://puritanprayersrevised.blogspot.com/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would LOVE this! I love the book and would love to gift it to my sons, but....the language would be a hard "NO" for them, unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My closest friend and mentor for over 40 years gave this to me when first meet. along with the Pursuit of God by Tozer. he told me he reads them once every 1-2 years to keep him on track of the purpose why God saved and called us. we cheat on this book and keep it pretty close to our Bibles. Even the best preachers of the day don't think and pray like this. it is literally like a breath of fresh air to read it. I teach 10th and 7th grade Bible at a Christian school and I use it frequently. I say press on it would be wonderful to give the kids a copy. I love the JB Philips and he wrote the modern English paraphrase his kids and collage students. PLEASE PRESS ON. if you want or need some to help review i would love to.
    In the Matchless Name of Christ
    jim

    ReplyDelete
  12. So many brothers and sisters use The Valley Of Vision (TVOV) daily and have marked, changed, embellished and referenced what bible verse(s) a section refers to. One would pray you might make a way to collaborate with all these saints to produce the translated product you desire to publish.
    This is my go to verse from the book TVOV - "My heaven-born faith gives promise of eternal sight, my new birth a pledge of never-ending life."

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes please! If you are still considering this project, I would use it for both my high school students as well as women at our church.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brother, I am so glad you are doing this. I just found your site today. I am a young pastor still going through seminary. Anyway, I am learning about contextualization in one of my classes. I love Valley of Vision, but the language (like the KJV) is in need of updating because what good is it if people can't understand it? I am thankful for your work. I will be using your prayers in our services starting tomorrow. To God be the glory!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm so thankful to find this website. Do you have any rewritten from Service and Ministry section of the book? I scanned through the titles of the different posts and none of them jumped out at me but I might have missed some.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I found myself wanting to pray this morning but sadly little came to mind other than my 'wish list' to God, circumstances in which I would love Him to intervene. It seemed selfish to me, although I know He delights in our need for Him. But I felt I needed some awe and praise and was ever so glad to find these translations into modern English from what is almost a foreign language to me. Praise God for your work here. Is it still ongoing?

    ReplyDelete