Monday, January 25, 2010

Act of Approach

Kind Lord,

I praise you continually for giving me permission
   to approach your throne of grace,
   and to spread my wants and desires before you.
I am not worthy of your blessings and mercies
   for I am far gone from original righteousness;
My depraved nature reveals itself in disobedience and rebellion
My earlier years discovered in me discontent, pride, envy and revenge.
Remember not the sins of my youth,
   nor the multiplied transgressions of later years,
      my failure to use wisely my time and talents,
      my abuse of your mercies and spiritual helps,
      my wasted Sunday rest days,
      my perverted seasons of grace,
      my long neglect of your great salvation,
      my disregard of the Friend of sinners.

While I confess my guilt, help me to feel it deeply,
   with self-abhorrence and self-despair, yet
   to remember that there is hope in you,
   and to see the Lamb that takes away sin.
Through him may I return to you,
   listen to you,
   trust in you,
   delight in your law,
   obey you,
   be upheld by you.
Preserve my understanding from error,
   my affections from love of idols,
   my lips from speaking deceit,
   my conduct from the stain of sinful behavior,
   my character from the appearance of evil,
      that I may be harmless,
      blameless,
      rebukeless,
      exemplary,
      useful,
      light-giving,
      prudent,
      zealous for your glory
         and the good of my fellow-men.

No comments:

Post a Comment