Saturday, January 23, 2010

Covenant

Lord Jesus,
Would you grant me the favor of being led by you,
   under the directions of your acts of provision
   and your word?
Please grant me your blessings along with bitter things,
   to brighten and quicken me,
   and not to depress me and make me lifeless;
Grant me, like Gideon of old, signs of direction,
   by removing things that discourage me;
And may you also grant me support beneath the shadow of your sympathy when I am tempted.
Accept my unceasing thanks
   that I am not cast off from your hand
   as a darkened star of a rudderless ship.
Please do not allow me to live
   beyond my usefulness;
Cast me not under the feet of
   pride, injustice, riches, worldly greatness,
   or the selfish oppression of men;
Help me to wait patiently, silently upon you,
   not to be filled with anger or to speak foolishly
Let your mercy follow me while I live,
   and help me to submit myself to your will.
Take my heart and hold it in your hand;
   write upon it reverence to yourself with an inscription that time and eternity cannot erase.
To your grace and the care of your covenant
   I commit myself, in sickness and in health,
      for you have overcome the world,
      fulfilled the law,
      accomplished justifying righteousness,
      swallowed up death in victory,
      and taken all power everywhere.
Mark this covenant with your own blood
   in the court of forgiving mercy;
Attach unto it your name in which I believe,
   for it is sealed by my unworthy mortal hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment