Friday, January 22, 2010

Confidence

O God, you are very great!

My calling is to approach you with godly fear and humble confidence,
   for the way you stoop down to me is equal to your grandeur
   and your goodness is your glory.
I am unworthy, but still you welcome me;
   I am guilty, but your are merciful;
   I am penniless but your riches are unsearchable.
You have shown boundless compassion towards me
   by not sparing your Son,
   and by freely giving me all things in him;
This is the foundation of my hope,
   the refuge of my safety,
   the new and living way to approach you,
   the thing which creates in me that conviction of sin,
      that brokenness of heart, and self-despair,
      which will cause me to love the gospel.
Happy are they who are Christ's,
   in him at peace with you, Father,
      justified from all things,
      delivered from coming wrath,
      made heirs of future glory;
O Give me such deadness to the world,
   such love to the Savior,
   such attachment to his church,
   such devotedness to his service,
      as shows that I am a recipient of his salvation.
May every part of my character and conduct
   make a serious and pleasant impression on others,
   and compel them to ask the way to the Master.
Let no incident of life, whether pleasing or painful,
   injure the prosperity of my soul
   but rather increase it.
Send me your help,
   for your appointments are not meant
      to make me independent of you,
   and the best spiritual helps will be meaningless
      without your added blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment