Sunday, January 10, 2010

Christian Love

It is your will that I should love you
   with heart, soul, mind, strength,
   and my neighbor as myself.
But I am not sufficient for these things.
There is, by nature, no pure love in my soul;
Every desire in me is turned away from you;
I am bound, as a slave, to lust,
I cannot love you, lovely as you are
   until you set me free.
By grace I am your freed slave and would serve you,
   for I believe you are my God in Jesus,
   and that through him I am bought back from slavery,
   and my sins are forgiven.
With this freedom I wish I would always obey you,
   but I cannot walk in liberty today,
   any more than I could first attain it on my own.
May your Spirit draw me nearer to you
   and your ways.
You are the end goal of all the helps that draw and keep me near to you,
   for if they lead me not to you,
   I go away empty.
Order all my ways by your holy Word
   and make your commandments the joy of my heart,
   that by them I may have a happy relationship with you.
May I grow in your love and display it to all.

Spirit of love, make me like the loving Jesus;
   give me his kind attitude
   his generous actions
   that I may shine before men to your glory.
The more you do in love in me and by me,
   humble me more;
   keep me meek, lowly,
   and always ready to give you honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment