Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Lord's Supper


God of all good,

Thank you for the methods you give us for getting grace;
   please help me to see in those methods your loving purposes
      and to know that they are the joy and strength of my soul.
You have prepared for me a feast;
   and though I am unworthy to sit down as guest,
   I wholly rest on the worthiness of Jesus,
   and hide myself beneath his righteousness;
When I hear his tender invitation
   and see his wondrous grace,
I cannot wait, but must come to you in love.
By your Spirit will you stir my faith that I may rightly discern
   and spiritually recognize the Savior?
While I gaze upon the emblems of
      my savior's death,
   may I ponder why he died, and hear him say,
      'I gave my life to purchase yours,
      presented myself an offering to take the wrath for
         your sin,
      shed my blood to blot out your guilt,
      opened my side to make you clean,
      endured your curses to set you free,
      bore your condemnation to satisfy
         divine justice.'
O may I rightly grasp the width and length
      of this design,
   May I draw near, obey, extend the hand,
   take the bread, receive the cup,
   eat and drink, testify before all men
      that I do for myself, gladly, in faith,
         esteem, love and receive my Lord,
      to be my life, strength, nourishment,
         joy, delight.
In the Lord's supper I remember his eternal love,
      boundless grace, infinite compassion,
      agony, cross, redemption,
   and receive assurance of pardon, adoption,
      life, glory.
As the outward elements nourish my body,
   so may your indwelling Spirit invigorate
      my soul
   until that day when I hunger and thirst
      no more,
   and sit with Jesus at his heavenly feast.

No comments:

Post a Comment