Monday, November 12, 2012

Scriptural Convictions

O God of love,

I approach you with encouragements
      that come from your character,
   for I am not left to grope after you
      in the darkness of my nature,
   nor to worship you as the unknown God.
I cannot find out your perfections,
   but I know you are good,
       ready to forgive, full of mercy.
You have displayed your wisdom, power,
      and goodness in all your works,
   and have revealed your will in the Scripture
      of truth.
You have caused it to be preserved, translated,
      published, multiplied,
   so that all men may possess it and find
      you in it.

Here in Scripture I see your greatness and your grace,
   your pity and your rectitude,
   your mercy and your truth,
   your being and men's hearts;
Through it you have magnified your name,
   and gifted mankind with the gospel.
Please have mercy on me,
   for I have ungratefully received your gifts,
   done little to improved my privileges,
   made light of spiritual things,
   disregarded your messages,
   resisted examples of the good,
      rebukes of conscience,
      admonitions of friends,
      leadings of providence.
I deserve to have your kingdom taken away from me.
Lord, I confess my sin with feeling, lamentation,
   a broken heart,
   a contrite spirit, self-abhorrence,
      self-condemnation, self-despair.
O give me relief by Jesus my hope,
   faith in his name of Saviour,
   forgiveness by his blood,
   strength by his presence,
   holiness by his Spirit:
And let me love you with all my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment