Wednesday, February 17, 2010

The Throne

O God of my delight,

Your throne of grace
   is the pleasure ground of my soul.
It is here that I receive mercy in time of need,
   here I see the smile of your reconciled face,
   here joy pleads the name of Jesus,
   here I sharpen the sword of the Spirit,
      anoint the shield of faith,
      put on the helmet of salvation,
      gather manna from your Word,
      am strengthened for each conflict,
      emboldened for the upward race,
      empowered to conquer every foe;
Help me to come to Christ
   as the fountainhead of descending blessings,
   as a wide open flood-gate of mercy.
I'm amazed at my unthinking foolishness, that
   with such enriching favors within my reach
   I am slow to extend my hand to take them.
Have mercy upon my deadness for your Name's sake.
Enliven me, stir me, fill me with holy zeal.
Strengthen me that I may cling to you
   and not let you go.
May your Spirit within me draw all blessings
   from your hand.
When I don't move forward, I slide backward.
Let me walk humbly because of the good deeds I have not done
   and the bad things I have done.
Impress on my mind the shortness of time,
   the work to be engaged in,
   the report of my life that will be recorded,
   the nearness of eternity,
   the fearful sin of despising your Spirit.
May I never forget that
   your eye always sees,
   your ear always hears,
   your recording hand always writes.
May I never stop pursuing you until Christ is
   the pulse of my heart;
   the spokesman of my lips,
   the lamp of my feet.

No comments:

Post a Comment