Sunday, February 28, 2010

Requests

O God,

May I never be a black spot or a blank spot in life,
   never cause the way of truth to be spoken of as evil,
   or make my freedom an opportunity for my sinful nature.
May I, by love, serve others, and please my neighbor for his good to build him up.
May I pay attention to the little things as well as the big things in my faith walk,
   pursuing things that are lovely and of good reputation.
May my profession of the gospel be not only powerful, but also pleasant and inviting.
May I hold out Jesus' way
   with my temperament as well as my tongue,
   with my life as well as my lips.
May I say to all I meet,
   "I am traveling to the place the Lord has chosen,
   come with me for your good."
May I be prepared for whatever this short, changing, uncertain life may bring,
   living usefully in it,
   journeying comfortably through it,
   and passing safely out of it.
May I be, in character and conduct, like
   the dew of heaven,
   the salt of the earth,
   the light of the world,
   and the fullness of the fountain.
May I never
   be ashamed of Jesus or his words,
   be kept by fear from doing something I know I should do
   or be discouraged from attempting to do it because of my weakness.
May I see all things in a heavenly light so that they may inform my judgment
   and sanctify my heart.
And by all the ways you discipline me through circumstances,
   and all the helps provided me by the Christian faith
   may I be increasingly prepared for
      life's remaining duties,
      the solemnity of my dying hour,
      and the joys and services
         that lie beyond the grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment