Friday, February 18, 2022

The Cry of a Convicted Sinner

O Righteous and Holy King,

In whose hand is my life and whose are all my ways,

Keep me from fluttering around the life of faith;

   fix me firm in it,

   for I am non-committal;

   my decisions are smoke and vapor,

   and I do not glorify you,

   or behave according to your will;

Please do not cut down my life before my intentions grow into actions,

   and the budding of my soul into full flower,

   for  you are forbearing and good,

   patient and kind.

Save me from myself,

   from the trickery and deceits of sin,

   from the treachery of my perverse nature,

   from denying your charge against my offenses

   from a life of continual rebellion against you,

   from wrong principles, views and aims;

   for I know that all my thoughts, affections,

      desires and pursuits are alienated from you.

I have acted as if I hated you, although you are love itself;

   have striven to tempt you to the uttermost,

   to wear our your patience;

   have lived wickedly in word and action.

Had I been a ruler

   I would long ago have crushed such a rebel;

Had I been a father

   I would long since have rejected my child.

O, Father of my spirit,

   King of my life,

      cast me not into destruction,

      drive my not from your presence,

      but wound my heart that it may be healed;

      break it that your own hand 

         may make it whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment