Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Service and Provision

O God of my end,

You have given me a fierce resolve
   to go forth and spend my life for you;
If it be your will let me proceed in it;
   if not, then take away my intentions
All I want in life is such circumstances
   as may best enable me to serve you in the world;
To this end I leave all my concerns in your hand
   but let me not be discouraged,
      for this hinders my spiritual fervency;
Enable me to undertake some task for you,
   for this refreshes and animates my soul,
      so that I can endure all hardships and labors,
      and willingly suffer for your name.
But, O what a death it isto strive and labor,
   to be always in a hurry and yet do nothing!
Alas, time flies and I am of little use.
O that I could be a flame of fire in your service,
   always burning on in one continual blaze.
Equip me for singular usefulness in this world.
Equip me to exult in distresses of every kind
   if they but promote the advancement of your kingdom
Equip me to give up all hopes of the world's friendship,
   and give me a deeper sense of my sinfulness.
Equip me to accept from you as a friendly foe
   any trial that may befall me.
Equip me to be totally resigned to the denial
   of earthly pleasures I desire,
   and to be content to spend my time with you.
Equip me to pray with a sense of the joy of divine communion,
   to find all times happy seasons to my soul,
   to see my own nothingness,
   and wonder that I am allowed to serve you.
Equip me to enter the blessed world 
      where no unclean thing is,
   and to know you with me always.

1 comment: