Thursday, June 16, 2011

The Grace of the Cross

O my Savior,

I thank you from the depths of my being for your wondrous grace and love,
   in bearing my sin in your own body on the tree.
I pray that your cross may be to me
   as the tree that sweetens my bitterness,
   as the rod that blossoms with life and beauty,
   as the bronze serpent that calls for the look of faith.
By your cross crucify my every sin;
Please use it to increase my intimacy with you;
Make it the ground of all my comfort,
   the liveliness of all my duties,
   the sum of all your gospel promises,
   the comfort of all my afflictions,
   the vigor of my love, thankfulness, graces,
   the very essence of my faith walk
And by it give me that rest without rest,
   the rest of ceaseless praise.
You have also chosen a cross for me to take up and carry,
   a cross before you give me a crown.
You have chosen it to be my portion,
   but my selfish love hates this cross
      my sinful mind doesn't accept it;
   without the grace of patience I can't bear it,
      or walk with it, or benefit from it.
O blessed cross, what mercies you bring with you!
You are only counted as hateful by my rebel will,
   and only heavy because I refuse to bear your weight.
Teach me, gracious Lord and Savior,
   that along with my my cross of suffering you send promised grace
      so that I can bear it patiently,
   that my cross is your yoke which is easy,
      and your burden which is light.

1 comment: