Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Joy

O Christ,

All your ways of mercy lead toward and end in my delight.
You wept, grieved, suffered that I might rejoice.
For my joy you have sent the Comforter,
   have multiplied your promises,
   have shown me my future happiness,
   have given me a fountain of life.
You are preparing joy for me, and me for joy;
I pray for joy, wait for joy, long for joy;
   O give me more than I can hold, desire, or think of.
Measure out to me times and amounts of joy,
   at my work, business, duties.
If I weep at night, give me joy in the morning.
Let me rest in the thought of your love
   your pardon for sin, my title to heaven,
   my future unspotted state.
I am an unworthy recipient of your grace.
I often undervalue your blood and dishonor your love,
   but in repentance I can draw water from the wells of your joyous forgiveness.
Let my heart leap towards the eternal sabbath,
   where the work of redemption, sanctification,
      preservation, glorification is finished and perfected forever,
   where you will rejoice over me with joy.
There is no joy like the joy of heaven,
   for in that state are no sad divisions,
   unchristian fights,
   contentions, evil plans
   weariness, hunger, cold,
   sadness, sin, suffering,
   persecutions, wearisome work.
O healthful place where none are sick!
O holy assembly where all are priests!
How free a state where none are servants
   except to you!
Bring me speedily to the land of joy.



1 comment:

  1. Awesome! The Lord was speaking to me about joy and laughter this morning as a key to healing :) Look at that...you're still speaking into my life 20 years and 500 miles later.

    ReplyDelete