Wednesday, April 14, 2010

O Great Three-in-One

Author of all blessings I enjoy,
   of all I hope for,
You have taught me
   that neither the experience of present evils,
   nor the remembering of former sins,
   nor the reproaches of friends,
   are able to change a sinner's heart,
   unless you kindly act to reveal your grace
   and give life to that dead sinner
   by effectively working by your Spirit's power.
You have shown me
   that the visible outpourings of God's love in the soul are more valuable than physical health
   and that often spiritual comforts are at their highest when physical well-being is at its lowest.
You have given me the blessing of music
   as a channel of your grace.
Help me to take my place in joining in that new song
   which elect angels and perfected saints
   now sing before your throne and before the Lamb.
I bless you for balancing every distress with joy;
   too much of the former might weigh me down,
   too much of the latter might puff me up;
I see your wisdom in giving me a taste of both.
I love you
   for giving me clusters of grapes in the wilderness
   and drops of heavenly wine that cause me to long to have my fill.
Apart from you I quickly die,
   without you I starve,
   far from you I thirst and droop;
But you are all I need.
   Let me continually grasp the promise
   'I will never leave you, nor forsake you.'

No comments:

Post a Comment